[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Designing ships [possible BFG scale]
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Designing ships [possible BFG scale]

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Designing ships [possible BFG scale]

Postby Malika » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:45 pm

Been working on a variant of this ship. Since people were suggesting different prows, I thought I could take it to the next level. The ship is already divided into components, so the possibility of different weapons wasn't that far fetched.

So I started working on a lance turret component. It's still very WIP...

- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:53 pm

I haven't found all of mine =[
I know that my bridge is fine. I know that my keel is fine. I know that my main wings are not, and I know the section from engineering forward is not. I suspect it's in my engines. There's a plugin for Sketchup that finds leaks, but I haven't tried it and don't know if it works with this version of Sketchup.

Also, if your model is a proper solid (leakproof etc) then Sketchup will give you the volume of it if you group it and check the entity window. If no volume given, it has leaks or other issues. Those same issues will also mean it isn't printable.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:01 pm

Let me know what plugin you used, if it works of course. I tried downloading one the other day, but it only kept crashing my sketchup. :(
Malika
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:55 am

If you want to check for leaks and other problems for printing, use the service to check an STL file. It will automatically fix the problems for you for free.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Malika » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:15 am

Thanks a lot dude! :)

Just downloaded it, and it seems to work great. I also downloaded CADspan, which allows me to check the surfaces, tweak them and resurface. But for some reason, the resurfacing feature takes so slow that it doesn't really work (been waiting for 3 hours for it to resurface a simple cube).
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:16 am

I do have a problem though, the program keeps saying I have almost 3000 invalid orientations. But when I click on the repair button I can't find anything. Any advice on how I can fix this?
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:03 am

Today I've mostly been figuring out how to make models watertight for printing. Man oh man...it was such an annoying task, finding the right software, learning that the different programs aren't compatible and tend to contradict each other, e.g. a model that's fully tight/fixed according to Netfabb is considered to be full of holes/etc according to CADspan. Very frustrating. However, Netfabb offers a fixing service, so I'm sticking with them at the moment. Shapeways apparently also work with these guys, so I'll trust them.

In the meanwhile I started working on the thrusters a bit. They are still very WIP:

After that it's going to be the prow that will be tweaked so it has several torpedo launchers. That would mean the first model is done, and I can start working on some other components. I've got the following in mind:

Prows:
-Torpedo prow (one I have now);
-Eagle head;
-Prow mounted superweapon (comes with the middle hull part I think);
-Prow with fighter launch bays;
-Neutral (no weapons).

Middle:
-Launch bays (one I have now);
-Lance turrets (WIP);
-Superweapon (see above, comes with prow);
-Cargo.

'Turrets':
-Lance turrets (one I have now);
-Torpedo launchers;
-Neutral (armor plating);
-Bridge (unofficial) I know the demand is high for this one since it fits a certain aesthetic. I might end up making a bridge part you could put instead of one of the turrets. Personally I won't really use them, but I know there are many players who like to have such a thing on the ship.

The back part (Distortion Engine + back thrusters) will remain the same. Don't have any plans to make variants for that one. The idea is that the ships are constantly retrofitted with different weaponry/equipment. I can imagine the same ship constantly changing form by getting different component whenever needed for that fitting situation. So lets say the ship 'Lucius' (very original name) might at one moment have been a carrier craft, but during the other campaign it could have been armed with giant turrets and yet another time it was a transporter.

I liked the idea that these ships first have a live human who every now and then 'plugs' into the ship to control certain aspects of it. But this is quite demanding on the body, meaning that eventually, part be part he becomes 'fused' with the ship. Thus the ship truly becoming an extension of his body. Kind of reminds me of that Doctor Who episode .
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:06 am

I do like the blocky engine design. With a bit of interior detail it will look quite good!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Malika » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:55 am

That's the plan! Interior detailing will be in such a way that it will allow for . :)
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:33 pm

Here are three variants of the Legion Cruiser next to each other. The one on the left is armed with additional lance turrets, enabling it to take out enemy shields from a distance. The middle ship is a military transport ship. The size already enables it to transport entire regiments, including all sorts of support gear. I was first thinking of beefing the ship up some more, but didn't find it too fitting. I might at a later date make a battleship variant which is an even larger transport. But I would imagine normal transport ships (which are already larger) would be civilian ships, not military ones.

The ship on the right is the carrier I've been working on all this time. Not that much changed in it yet.

Note that all the components are still very WIP, the turret component still needs a lot of detailing. The transporter one needs something extra to make it stand out. The prow (single variant at the moment) will need further detailing and torpedo tubes. The engine and the rest of the components need a few thrusters and details before they're ready.
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:10 am

Tweaked the 'transport component' a bit, meaning it has become the assault barge component:

The launch bays are still quite big considering the scale, but instead of launching clouds and clouds of fighter craft and boarding pods, it unleashes dropships, drop pods, landing craft and so on.

The turrets it has can scare off raiders or some enemy ships, but it is rather vulnerable, meaning it would need other ships to support it, such as the carrier seen next to it.
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:44 am

Little teaser...

Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:41 am

Looks good, but can you post some normal rendered shots? The sketch style gets a bit old...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Deadmeat30 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:56 am

Wow i really like them! Nice job. might have to snap some up!

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby Malika » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:10 pm

Malika
Junkie

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling