[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Superheavy Assault Walker
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Superheavy Assault Walker

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Superheavy Assault Walker

Postby mangozac » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:31 pm

Dude you're getting as hard to please as Mark! :p

Moving the segment down to the front works. I think I'm just going to put it in the two hard basket and meditate over it along with the panel lines on the rear chassis.

I just had a thought: maybe this will all be a lot easier once the parts are primed. At that stage there's not the visual distraction of all the different visual colours giving false aesthetic cues. So perhaps I'll leave the final panel lining until then.

Inbetween forcing myself to study I've got all the other detailing done. She's ready to go! I'm not going to post any more WIP pics until the priming is done - at that stage it will be time for a big unveiling of sorts. I may just end up driving up to the casting company on Friday to get a formal quote from them for manufacture.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Wolfs16 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:38 pm

Haha, sorry to be so difficult! :D I think you're right about the priming. There are so many shapes, lines and colors on that thing that it really throws the eyes off. I will reserve all judgment till after the priming.

But again, this is fantastic work and I can't wait to see it finished!

Wolfs16
Casual

Postby Warhound » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:50 pm

Aaaaannnnd back in the room. :lol:

Great work Zac! The smoothing of the chassis. the addition of the panel lines and the superb 'half smartie' all work well!

The only comment I would make (and you knew there has to be one;-) is that the area between the casks and the smartie needs a panel like the one that you have right on the top of the nose- just something to break up the area but not big enough to be intrusive? I would be interested to see what the other side of the hull looks like also (are you avoiding showing us that?;-)

Otherwise, I would agree that you are pretty much done here my friend! and about bloody time too!;-)

Christmas has just been re-invented for the adults in the room!

cheers
MARK
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby mangozac » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Oh you know the reason why I always take shots of the same side: the window is on the left end of my desk and so the light comes in that direction for taking photos! :lol:

You know, it feels kind of surreal to be this close to completion!
mangozac

Postby mangozac » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Okie dokie it's all finished and now awaiting post priming finalisation. As requested, here's a pic of the other side of the chassis. Not all that exciting eh?

chassis_WIP_44.jpg

I'm booked in to see the casting company on Friday. We've got a big storm coming over right now so I've gotta run and make sure everything is secure around here. Enjoy!
mangozac

Postby Arkangel » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Zac,
I have to be honest I've been following this since Warhound first told me about this project when it was first gracing the pages of ATT. The walker was the main reason I went on there ;) It's great to see that finally all your hard work, and the support that you've had from the community, ATT, friends alike etc, has come to fruition. It's a wonderful project and I for one am truly in awe of the progress from the initial design sketches to what almost seems to be the finally version. It's inspirational in one aspect, and humbling in another, purely for the fact of the ammount of people who have constructive added their thoughts and ideas to aid you in your project. And I think that is what makes forums truly great.

Bravo :D

Arkangel
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:15 am

Dan you have really hit the nail on the head here! Indeed one of the most enjoyable parts of this project has been the standing it has given me in online communities and the friends I've met along the way. Indeed I may never have become so acquainted with Warhound had he not fallen so obsessively in love with this :P

By far the greatest thing to come from this project is when I hear that I've inspired others in their own modelling projects.

There's quite a surreal feeling getting this close to completion - like nearing the end of a long journey. But hopefully this is just the first of many to come! Once everything is primed I can not only post some pretty pictures but also photoshop up a final shot of what it will look like.
mangozac

Postby mangozac » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:38 am

First stage of priming is done! Here's all of the parts I have made and the quantities used in the final kit (there is still a small amount of work to be done on the pelvis before I prime it fully):

(Warning 1/2 meg image)

It's amazing how many flaws the priming shows up! I'm going to have to go around with some putty and fix lots of little nicks and tool marks. Then a lot of spots are going to need sanding with around 1200 grit paper. I'm thinking I might get some Mr Surfacer 500 for the next priming attempt as it should theoretically fill the flaws better than the 1000 that I'm using.
mangozac

Postby mangozac » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:11 pm

Double post, because I'm sure you will enjoy this:

walker_complete.jpg

This is a Photoshop composite done by taking photos with the one leg in the four locations and then merging together. That's the reason why it's in such a boring pose which really doesn't do it justice. The upper leg shouldn't be so horizontal which would give it a more aggressive stance.

Also I'll put up some detail shots later to get feedback on final panel lining.
mangozac

Postby Wolfs16 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:54 pm

Looking fantastic! It's really great to see the beast almost complete and walking! (It can walk on its own power, right? ;) ) I would love to see the panel lines up close, so I'll wait for any criticism. :)

As for posting it, why not wait till you have those close up shots? That way you can get people's opinions on a progressive step instead of people just saying how cool it looks (like my comments above).

Wolfs16
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:12 pm

And finally as my last act of benevolence for the day I have the close up pics you've all been waiting for:

Look Mark, the top hatch is kind of in place (if I push it down it's not going to come out)!
chassis_WIP_45.jpg

chassis_WIP_46.jpg

chassis_WIP_47.jpg

chassis_WIP_48.jpg

chassis_WIP_49.jpg

And because I'm not sure if you guys have seen the final lower leg details:

leg_WIP_x.jpg

So let me have it! Where are more panel lines needed? I'm actually pretty unhappy with the lines between the discs and the rotator on the side. They are a bit off-kilter so I think I'll just fill them in and leave panel-line-less.

I agree with Mark's previous statements that there needs to be some kind of detail between those discs and the hemisphere near the front so I'm all ears for suggestions there also.

I also agree with Mark that the rear section needs more panel lines. I was worried about cluttering it up too much but now that it's all primed I can visualise it much better.
mangozac

Postby Warhound » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:15 pm

And a good morning it is indeed!

You have been a busy boy! :shock:

I wasn't going to go into huge detail, as you are probably aware of the most of refinements that need making, but, well you know me, and at this late stage, I would feel it would be remiss of me to not help with the final hurdle :lol: Therefore I will give a brief synopsis of each image going down the page in order:

Parts breakdown: All looks good, apart from the rotator hubs. You may remember me mentioning a 'flattening out' on the internal arc on the main circle (in this case most noticeable on the NNW point of the top hub on the photo) Great to see the hub locking points for elevating the railcannons and the ankle sub- assemblies! The main hatch (first time of seeing) looks to be off centre even with its asymetery, but this may be the camera angle? The hatch for under the 'groin' is almost the same as an orca plate- great work!

PHoto-fu picture: Seriously, this is a huge testament to your vision! The ONLY noticeable flaws on this shot are that of the bevelled raised edge of the knee armour needing sharpening/ flatening off (bit un-even at the moment)
Comment: The other day I mentioned about smoothing the bottom plate of the hull sensor pod (skyray style) into the hull. I actually quite like the edge now, as this shot suggests an 'airscoop' bevelled/ chizzled down into the hull- worth thinking about?

Plan view: spot on, other than the top leading edge of the bevel on the missile pod areas- slightly uneven? again, cant quite make out?

Side view: Again, highlights the problem with the internal circle of the rotator hub. Also, re-illustrates my point about the rear needing some panel lines on the 'ass' module. Just above and to the right of the capacitors the front hull panel line needs straightening.
I would also be tempted to scribe panel lines around the smarties, as nice as they are, it is a little weird that they are part of the same 'plane' as the main hull armour?

Naked hull side view: It looks like you have started to scribe some panel lines out to meet the casks? Def finish these.. as for the area between the half smartie and the casks, I would add something like the small 'tic tac' scribe shape, but nothing more- I actually like this area as you have done such tight job with the rest of the hull panel lines! Just needs a slight 'teching' up.

Almost face on view- awesome- no more comments!

Flipped on ass view: I am glad that you now agree with me about the rear area- it just needs something as bold and tight as you have done on the front top hull, and maybe the odd small tictac?
Also the odd small tictac on the front underneath?
The 'collar' for the ball mount obviously needs tidying.

Underneath view of leg: Cheers for this as we have never seen it before! :D Great work- nice detailing. Again though is there an issue with the internal circle of the knee- it seems to flatten off on the left of the photo? The Disks also look a little 'soft' in comparrison to the sharp edges on the rest of the model- I suspect that this is because they are one of the original elements and your eye has improved over the course of the project?

Now I know that some (esp yourself) may think- god he is being harsh, but this is the aim of this site- to give constructive feedback in all sincerity with the aim to improving our game 8-) Of course you do reserve the right to tell me to shove it, but you know I am right;-) (I am the one that whispers in the dead of night :ugeek: ) :lol:

This IS truly phenomenal work though, and I am quite sad that this project is finally coming to a close... but then excited at the prospect of new behind the scenes work! ;)

Oh and one final thought, the 'tictacs' that I am quite clearly fond of, I like because I can just picture that this machine does not need all that much maintenance, but when being 'serviced' has big Akira style rubber pipes/ hoses plugged in at various points to add coolant and oil levels etc- just my own imagination thats all;)

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby Vaaish » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:46 am

Coming in at the tail end of the project, I think you've done an excellent job with the fabrication and looking at what you've posted I agree that you need some form of panel lines around the back of the turret like warhound is suggesting. The remaining aspects are parts you probably won't adjust although, since we are supposed to be giving constructive feedback, I feel I should mention anyway:

Seeing it all assembled in your composite shot feels like the legs are somewhat large compared to the turret and almost overpower it. Secondly, the "feet" at the end of the legs don't seem practical ending in a rounded nub. It seems that it should end flat and possibly adjustable.

Finally, you have some nice variation between hard angles and round forms in the turret area, but this doesn't seem to extend to the lower portion of the model. If you were to make the legs a bit more angular I think it would help the upper and lower portions to be more cohesive. IT don't think it needs much, perhaps just making the armor below the knee emulate the center portion of the turret between the railcannons.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Xeones » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:16 am

Great work here Zac. I have to agree with Warhound and Vaaish with many of there comments, but regardless, of the nit-picky stuff, I have to say that this has really come together beautifully. Now that the main body of the walker has been primed it really looks great!

Keep the updates comin' ol' buddy! ;)
Last edited by Xeones on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xeones

Postby mangozac » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:02 am

Hey guys thanks for the feedback. It's all very valid and I will take much of it on board. Much appreciated!

I've gotta race off to an exam now and after that have been booked for post exam partying so I probably won't get to give a proper reply until tomorrow.

Zac
mangozac

PreviousNext

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding